Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1953 - 20/03/2000 14:06 "Official" empeg FAQ
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
With the kind permission of the Two Robs (Rob @ empeg, and Rob at the Developer site ), I have volunteered to create and maintain an "official" FAQ for the empeg-car player. It is official, because the content is to be scrutinised by the empeg team prior to each release.

The original documents were on the developer site (originally produced by Rob and various contributors to his site) and the first empeg Ltd. FAQ (produced by Rob in days gone by); since the original official one is now hopelessly out of date, I have merged the two and started work on a new version, which should hopefully reflect the current state of affairs. Depending on input and what material I can glean from this BBS, I will be producing something in the next few weeks and posting a URL where you will be able to access it.

Initially, the FAQ will be a simple flat ASCII TXT file. Eventually, it will evolve into an HTML based document, and may end up stored in a simple database for lookup on the Developer site for reference, depending on demand/input.

If anyone would like to suggest candidate questions for the FAQ, or answers to common questions, or even both, then can I ask that you submit them to the official FAQ mailing address created specially for the purpose:

[email protected]

- with the subject "Empeg FAQ". Please state the Question, or Q & A, that you would like to submit to this address (with your name if you wish to be credited). You may also post thread references within this BBS for me to look up as suggestions for repeatedly aired issues if you prefer.

Can I emphasise that it is is preferable to mail your questions as asked to this address rather than to post here, on the BBS, in order to reduce board clutter and traffic overhead for PaulH on what is, after all, his privately maintained system.

Looking forward to hearing from you with your suggestions!

Rob Schofield (the Third Rob)
empeg #00015

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#1954 - 20/03/2000 16:38 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Ah, an official FAQ! Can an official BBS be far behind?

I have a couple of things to say about it...

Initially, the FAQ will be a simple flat ASCII TXT file. Eventually, it will evolve into an HTML based document, and may end up stored in a simple database for lookup on the Developer site for reference, depending on demand/input.

Having done precisely that once before, let me encourage you to not start with an ASCII file and later merge it into HTML. It is a huge headache to maintain two versions of a document and keep them synched. If you're planning on making it HTML, then simply do that to begin with. You'll save yourself a lot of work. (And don't give me that "but what about people who don't have web browsers" crap, or I'll be forced to hunt you down so I can personally adminster a dope-slap.)

I don't think you need to go through with the searchable database thing. That probably won't be necessary for a FAQ like this one. Too much overkill. But if you're serious about doing that, too, then skip the straight-HTML stuff and start with the database. Trust me, you want to save as many "conversion" steps as possible.

...or answers to common questions, or even both...

Wow a FAQ with answers, too?! How useful.

As far as content goes, I would be willing not only to contribute to it, but help out in any way I can with developing and maintaining it. If you need help with writing content, proofreading, formatting, design, graphics, etc., just say the word.

(the Third Rob)

Ever watch "Newhart"?

"Hi, I'm Rob. This is my brother Rob, and this is my other brother, Rob."

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1955 - 20/03/2000 21:38 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Exactly how in-depth is this FAQ going to be?

I'm new to the empeg, and actually, I don't own one, so everything here is Greek to me.

I guess what I'm asking is will the FAQ include the physical operation of the empeg, as well as directions for doing things like adding a startup image? What I mean is (I'm not really clear-minded right now) what level of user is the FAQ going to be directed at? I've been to the developer site, and as someone who isn't a hard-core programmer (I'm only in CS141 right now, so I'm still dealing with how to use cout statements :)) I don't have any idea how to do these things.

Just whining, sorry. I sprained my ankle yesterday so I'm not in a great mood.

#1956 - 21/03/2000 00:56 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: tfabris]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Alteratively you could try linuxdoc or SGML, which can create HTML, txt, ps, etc from the same source.

This is awesome - all of the Linux HOWTO's are written in SGML (linuxdoc template). Take a look at www.linuxdoc.org.

As a writer and maintainer of a HOWTO (Oracle 7 on Linux) I know what a pain that txt -> html, etc can be. Trust me and Tony, start with SGML.

In fact there's no reason not to have a Empeg HOWTO.....

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#1957 - 21/03/2000 04:07 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: tfabris]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I once maintained the 'alt.games.civ2' FAQ. It wasn't very big but I just did it in HTML and then used lynx to generate the text version. This could viable if you don't want to learn about linuxdoc, docbook or another SGML derivative.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#1958 - 21/03/2000 06:41 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
Lord Bleys

Schofiel,
First -- THANK YOU! We've got a -LOT- of repeat questions that pop up on this BBS and the FAQ could minimize many of them or allow answers to be simple links to the FAQ if it's comprehensive enough.

I think it should probably be aimed at the lowest common denominator in preparation for increased production of units by Empeg. I also think you shouldn't get into Empeg customization until all of the baseline queries are included.

A general outline could be something like:

Official Empeg FAQ
------------------
-> MP3s
* What is a MP3?
* How do I make a MP3?
* What ripper(s) do most people use and why?
* What encoder(s) do most people use and why?
* When making MP3s, what quality settings do most people use for encoding and why?
* What is an ID3 tag?
* What are some tools I can use to easily manipulate large numbers of ID3 tags?
* etc

-> Empeg-Car General
* What audio file formats are supported by the Empeg-Car?
* Why doesn't the Empeg-Car have a CD-ROM reader in it?
* Can the Empeg-Car be used to rip CDs?
* Can I download audio files from the Empeg-Car to another device?
* etc

-> Emplode
* What is Emplode? What does it do?
* What operating systems does Emplode run on?
* Is there a alternative to using Emplode for syncs and playlist management?
* How do I generate a playlist with Emplode?
* How do I avoid duplicate copies of MP3 files when building playlists with Emplode?
* etc.

-> MkI
* What are the specs for the MkI power supply (US and European)?
* When should I use my serial cable?
* When should I use my USB cable?
* How do I upgrade my software/firmware?
* What's that flashing light on the front of the Empeg-car MkI?
* What do the buttons on the Empeg-Car MkI do?
* What do the buttons on the Empeg-Car MkI's remote do?
* etc

-> MkII
* What are the specs for the MkII power supply (US and European)?
* When should I use my serial cable?
* When should I use my USB cable?
* When should I use my network cable?
* How do I upgrade my software/firmware?
* What's that flashing light on the front of the Empeg-car MkII?
* What do the buttons on the Empeg-Car MkII do?
* What does the dial on the Empeg-Car MkII do?
* What do the buttons on the Empeg-Car's remote do?
* etc

You can find the answers to all of these queries on this BBS using the search tool and some well-considered key words. While MP3s, themselves may be outside the scope of what you intend to have in the FAQ -- I think it behooves you to include that kind of info in the FAQ due to the proliferation of questions we've seen on this BBS about MP3s -- where to get them, how to make them, what settings, etc.

Just some thoughts..

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#1959 - 21/03/2000 09:09 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: Lord Bleys]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Good start for an outline, Bleys. I like the idea of going to a "lowest common denominator" and getting the MP3 stuff in there.

Another cool section might be: "I've just placed an order for the Empeg. What should I do to prepare for its arrival?", since I just got done telling Jens about that stuff in another thread.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1960 - 21/03/2000 10:01 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: tfabris]
john
stranger

Loc: London, UK
My god, it's the BFG faq. I suppose now's as good a time as any to say that you're incorrectly crediting me (John Ripley) for the PETALK2.zip BFG demo. It's actually my brother (Peter Ripley) playing an Alek Hayes - hence the name of the zip file

Small world, eh.

- John.

(The above may not represent the views of empeg :)

#1961 - 21/03/2000 10:14 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: john]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I suppose now's as good a time as any to say that you're incorrectly crediting me (John Ripley) for the PETALK2.zip BFG demo. It's actually my brother (Peter Ripley) playing an Alek Hayes - hence the name of the zip file

Wow. I thought I'd already corrected that credit once, many years ago. Was it you or your brother who wrote me about it originally? Silly me, of course, it says so right there in the file_id.diz file who's in it. Perhaps I got your name from the Doom newsgroup talking about the file or something?

The odds of me updating that thing in the near future are pretty low. Then again, I've said that about the file before, and it's been through something like ten revisions.

You're right, small world.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1962 - 21/03/2000 10:19 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Wow- I only just realized which John you were (since you don't post to this BBS as often as the other Empeg folks). Man, what a very small world.

I'll make sure to get that credit corrected if/when I update the file again.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1963 - 21/03/2000 14:37 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Gents (and there may be ladies out there too - although I have not had many hints that is the case, yet )

Following this original post, I have seen some genuine enthusiasm for the idea of an up-to-date FAQ. That's exactly what I was hoping for, and I am pleased at the response. Thanks!

However, in spite of the obvious enthusiasm, people are forgetting to do what I asked; while this might sound a bit pompous, can I ask that you please post your suggestions to me by e-mail as requested. Otherwise, it will rapidly become impractical to manage. Although I will try to keep an eye on it for now, I'm afraid I must insist that only contributions/suggestions submitted by email will be considered for inclusion.

The reasons for this are as follows:

1) I don't always read all threads, all the time. Hence, if you just stick a "place marker" on a candidate question that comes up in discussion, I am not guaranteed to see it.

2) As I have already found, scanning back through some 5,000 thoroughly interesting (and boring), short (and very long) and descriptive (and curt) posts on many, many topics to pick out suitable FAQ candidates is a pretty tough piece of work. I am not shirking this (already), but if I am to produce anything useful in a reasonable amount of time without incurring a huge phone bill I need to cut to the chase and gather concrete suggestions.

3) If you mail it to me, it goes into a mail folder where I can:
- find it quickly
- archive it
- re-read when neccessary without having to search for it
- make sure I can keep a record of who contributed it and properly credit you for your effort.

I am reluctant to ask PaulH for complete dumps of the postings since the whole board relies on his good graces and those of his colleague who supports this board by the provision of a T1 connection. He does not need any more maintainence, or other tasks, than he already has; so this has to be done by grunt work, and I want to minimise this with your help. I already have a good start in the form of the original FAQ material, but for it to grow, be useful, and remain current, I have to divide the work among little bottle imps such as yourselves popping suggestions into my mailbox.

You can help by picking something out as you spot it and mail it to me. It doesn't matter if 10 people all suggest the same thing; in fact, that would make it more likely that the suggestion is an excellent candidate for inclusion in the FAQ! I can act as editor, and modify/include/exclude as would be relevant.

If you just point out in a discussion thread that "this is FAQ material" then it is instantly 100% more difficult to do. Don't forget - in the background, I also have a mortgage to feed and two kids to maintain 24/7 - they need fixing occasionally too

Looking forward to hearing from all you imps out there....

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#1964 - 21/03/2000 15:00 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I also have a mortgage to feed and two kids to maintain 24/7 - they need fixing occasionally too

You're not kidding. And neither of those things come with warranties or money-back guarantees. What's up with that?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1965 - 21/03/2000 17:19 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
hey; it probably wouldn't hurt from this point on to subscribe to receive empeg's forums in your email - the option is under edit profile..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#1966 - 22/03/2000 04:39 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
Lord Bleys

Schofiel,
I didn't mean to ignore your request for mail; I was gauging response to the "lowest common denominator".

All,
I have an idea. Let's work out an outline. Schofiel draws up a draft and posts it here -- along with a hard/fast cut date. Everyone interested reads it, responds in direct email (to schofiel) as to things that seem to be missing. Schofiel compiles this information and provides updated postings (here) of the outline on a subjective, as-needed basis until the cut date is reached. Once reached we each take on chunks of the outline (by posting here as to what we'd commit to) -- with responsibility for answering the questions we take on. Selection of chunks would be first come/first choice. As we complete pieces we send them to schofiel who compiles the information whilst working on his own chunks.

In this way we'd all help out, no one person would bear the burden, the FAQ would get done that much faster, and our names would be immortalized as contributors to the FAQ, itself. *smirk*

I'm game -- no one person should bear the load of such a large task... Anyone else willing???

-- Bleys

#1967 - 22/03/2000 04:44 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: tfabris]
Lord Bleys

People still play Doom and its derivatives? *smirk*

-- Bleys

#1968 - 22/03/2000 06:16 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
tychl
new poster

I do have all of the daily e-mail digests of the forum from July 20 1999 through today
if you'd like a offline searchable index of the posts without having to bother PaulH
for a dump of the board.

#1969 - 22/03/2000 09:22 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: Lord Bleys]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I'm game -- no one person should bear the load of such a large task... Anyone else willing???

You can count me in:)
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#1970 - 22/03/2000 12:49 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: Lord Bleys]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
I'd certainly help out as much as I could.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#1971 - 30/03/2000 21:26 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: Lord Bleys]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
OK, Lord Bleys -- how dare you cast aspersions on my favorite game? (I'm just not good enough to handle Quake!) I hereby challenge you to a Doom deathmath. Choose your level!

;-)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#1972 - 31/03/2000 19:55 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: tanstaafl.]
Lord Bleys

Sorry, I'm a Descent I-III addict so I'll have to pass. I don't like the fact that Doom/Quake/HalfLife/Unreal/Duke Nuke'Em/etc don't let me roll upside down on a whim. =]

I must also say I was very unimpressed with the "ceiling" one experiences "outside the mines" in Descent III. I expected more...

-- Bleys

#1973 - 12/05/2000 13:58 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So how's this project coming? Haven't heard from you in a while. Is there a draft copy I can look at and contribute to?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1974 - 12/05/2000 16:53 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: tfabris]
Lord Bleys

I've been quietly wondering, too -- in part because I'm tired of seeing the same questions asked over and over on the BBS.

(By the way, Tony, you answer a TON of questions here. Thanks for that. It's part of what makes this place so open/accepting ... for now.)

When the Mark2 hits the streets I suspect we'll see a sharp increase in user load; te FAQ will be essential, then. My offer to assist still stands...

-- Bleys

#1975 - 13/05/2000 09:29 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: Lord Bleys]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It's possible that Rob didn't get much of a response... For instance, one of the things I'm afraid to do is to blindly mail a ton of stuff to the e-mail address specified. I'd much rather see a basic draft first so I know what areas need to be added to.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1976 - 14/05/2000 03:27 Re: "Official" empeg FAQ [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Unfortunately I need to get a FAQ into the new web site within the next couple of days, so if it comes to it I'll have to update it myself. Rob - give me a shout if you have anything to contribute yet, otherwise I'll put the framework together and you can take it over later (if you still want to do so).

Rob